Monday 9 January 2012

Crocuses, cuddlies and crocs

So far today I have had a wonderfully productive time – cheaper car insurance sorted out, tax bill paid ahead of the due date, MOT booked for next week, laundry done and just to round it all off there are crocuses blooming in my front and rear gardens.
It couldn’t last though..............the Post Office has come up trumps again..........although my Christmas mail mostly arrived on time (still no sign of the missing stuff from 2010), today I have received (wait for it) a Post Office credit card for an account I closed three years ago!!  Unbelievably they cannot deliver what is needed but can create something not wanted and certainly not asked for.  Needless to say I contacted the customer (lack of service) department and told them of their error and then let them listen to the plastic going through the shredder.  Job done!
Back to Zumba class this evening with a new daytime session on Friday.  I daresay tomorrow my muscles will feel the effect of any exertions but I have missed going over the Christmas closedown – that is not something I usually say about any form of exercise so it must be doing me good.  I keep trying to persuade my Mum to join in under the pretence that it will do her dodgy hip some good.  Somehow though she is unconvinced and is giving it a wide berth.  I do my best to assist her when we are out by holding her arm (a little firmly I have to admit – the odd bruise never did anyone any harm) to prevent her from falling over.  My efforts are unappreciated though and I have fallen foul of being whacked by her handbag more than once.
With the mild weather spell currently in the UK I feel compelled to sort out my garden in time for the spring planting of vegetable seeds and suchlike.  I have made a start by dead heading the winter pansies in the hope they will soon flower again, but there is a long way to go.  There is little point in digging the soil over yet or sowing any seeds as with my luck there will be a mega frost followed by two metres of snow and everything will be rendered useless.  I do hope my vegetables won’t fall foul of the white butterflies this year; surely they had their fill of my leaves last summer?  They can’t possibly need anything else to eat can they?  Perhaps a length of sticky fly trap paper in a grid formation around the plot might be a solution?  I will have to work out a cunning plan.
Sometime this year I plan to visit Edinburgh zoo and take a peek at the two pandas that have recently arrived from China.  On looking up the opening times online I was amazed to discover that in order to view the bamboo loving cuddlies there is a necessity to pre-purchase timed entry tickets.  They are currently not taking any bookings beyond the end of this month.  What on earth is all that about then?  Another example of total bonkersness (I like that word, must use it more often – certainly have the opportunity to) displayed within the UK.  The last time I saw pandas was in Austria one month after a baby had been born......no timed queuing there, oh no.  The area was open to visitors as normal with a video link from the birthing den to the outside so we punters could see what was going on.  Why do we have to make things so difficult in this country?  What next?  Timed entry tickets to see the stars at night?  Sorry sir, you cannot look out of your window until 9pm and it is only 8:50pm.
There was an item on the news over the weekend showing some crazy fool of a tourist doing a bungee jump over the crocodile full Zambezi River and falling from a height into the water after the string broke.  Utter madness to even contemplate jumping off a bridge whether tethered securely or not (as in this case).  By some lucky chance she managed to survive to tell the tale and despite being covered in bruises, appears to be none the worse for the experience.  Somehow I guess she will be able to dine out for quite some time on the back of this story, although I am presuming crocodile steak will not be on the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment