Monday 13 February 2012

Unwanted calls, bagel shops and addictions

More snow has fallen since my last publication but at last the temperature has picked up and the grass is visible again.  It wouldn’t have been so bad had the snow been the right sort for building snowmen instead of powdery stuff that fell apart as soon as it was handled.  Hopefully that will be the lot now and the spring flowers can get on with blooming instead of having to battle their way through the frozen stuff.  If I wanted to live in these conditions I would have moved to Antarctica some time ago.
At last I have found a way to get rid of unwanted marketing telephone calls.  I have registered with the Telephone Preference Service and almost instantly I have noticed a huge reduction in the annoying voice activated calls, marketing calls from foreign parts and general sales calls from the UK.  Praise be!  The unwanted emails are still arriving thick and fast but at least I can just hit the delete button and they are destined to vanish into cyberspace for eternity.
I may have mentioned before that when I sleep on my left side I have very peculiar dreams.  Never happens in any other sleeping position so is obviously an odd quirk related to my world.  Anyhow, I made the mistake of nodding off on my left over the weekend and entered another strange adventure..................I found myself at a garden fete type event where there was a high wooden tower.  Bizarrely some of the children I have looked after in the past were jumping from said tower and landing in an odd heap on the grass, quite obviously hurt.  As I went to move towards them I was led away by a mystery male figure (tall, well built but faceless) and taken to a bagel shop.  Whilst in the queue exchanging in pleasantries with fellow customers, we were told to leave as the shop was closing for the start of the Sabbath................I then found myself inside a large synagogue full of familiar faces.  At this point I woke up!  Any thoughts on the meaning behind any part of this wacky dream would be appreciated.  Perhaps I ought to start a ‘Dream of the Week’ feature?
Another talented celebrity has passed away at a young age (well I have to say young as she was the same age as me).  As yet there has been no confirmation as to what caused her demise although with her history of addictions and other issues the gossip columnists are making up their own minds.  Once again, little thought has been given to the family and friends who have been immediately affected and the body bag was filmed being loaded into an ambulance.  Time and time again when the famous amongst us either go off the rails or meet their maker earlier than planned, there is a common theme.............nobody has ever said the word ‘no’ to them.  Demands made by the celebrity become more ridiculous every time (for example they won’t use a dressing room unless the sweetie bowl only has red M&M’s in it; bottled water must be chilled to an exact temperature or else it will be binned...............and so the list goes on) and they enter a false world where they expect everyone to bow down to them without any degree of sensibility kicking in.  Whitney Houston has left a wealth of great music for the world to remember her by, sadly I daresay people will now hear her on the radio and think “Oh yeah, she was a drug addict, shame really as she had a lovely voice........”  Another case of do not judge others until you have walked a mile in their shoes.  Nobody chooses to have either an addiction or a mental illness but there is still a lot of stigma attached to both.  RIP Whitney, your music throughout the 1980’s and 1990’s was a major part of my playlist and I daresay your ‘people’ will now be making a mint from a hastily re-released greatest hits collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment