Monday 12 March 2012

Colds, birds and Sheldon

I have been in the grip of a cold virus thing doing the rounds in town.  It has not been pleasant but at least shares in Kleenex have remained at a high price.  The elusive Elgin marbles have surfaced in my neck and I am in the process of selling visitor tickets for a viewing.  I had the brilliant idea of taking paracetemol during the middle of the night to try and sweat out the infection.  This worked up to a point, however waking up boiling hot and drenched in sweat was okay.................until I pushed the duvet back and realised I was in fact cold.  Hopefully I am over the worst of it now and will soon be back to my usual self.  Cold virus, you have outstayed your visa, please leave on the next tissue out of here.
I was advised by somebody in the know that the cold virus is being treated by some medical centres as a variant of swine flu.  Fortunately the flu jab I had in the autumn protects against swine flu so I should be fine.  I am however a little concerned at the sudden appearance of a curly tail.
The past weekend saw early birthday celebrations for my brother at my parents’ house, with lunch, cake, candles and photographic opportunities.  As the forthcoming hip replacement surgery happens this week Mum will be out of action in the kitchen department for a while hence the early birthday.  Plans have been made for the days when Mum is holed up in her private room..........she is rather precious about her kitchen sink and will not let Dad wash the pots in it (he refuses to use the dishwasher) so my water saving bowl is to be taken up the road for the duration.  The cupboards have been stocked with enough tins of soup to support a Salvation Army homeless feeding station so at least Dad won’t starve.  He has plans of his own to eat breakfast at a local cafe (I am presuming he means one on the high street and not my kitchen) then supplement his diet at the hospital.  Hopefully the hospital stay will only be around three or four days so Mum will be back in time to watch the conservatory be taken down and rebuilt properly.
Next weekend sees a busy time for sporting coverage with the final games from the rugby Six Nations tournament plus the start of the Formula 1 season.  Fortunately there is a television in the hospital room so as long as Mum budges along a bit we can all squash on the bed and watch the action.  I am planning on her ordering extra helpings of food (apparently the chef calls to the bedside to ascertain what each patient wants) to save the bother of cooking once I get back from visiting.  It is either that or help Dad plough through the dozens of soup choices. 
Spring is definitely here now as I have been watching a blackbird busily building a nest in one of my shrubs.  There are plenty of nesting materials around the garden and the poor thing looks worn out from the hopping around collecting bits then sticking them together.  I really want to have a peek but will resist for fear of scaring it away.  Ironically the site chosen is where the purpose built blackbird nesting box (never inhabited) used to be until it fell off the mountings last year.  I always get robins nesting too so all I need now is to get the BBC to set up a film crew out the back for their Springwatch programme and I will be happy!  The frogs have been out hopping their way to the local pond for spawning and I expect to see some hedgehog evidence soon too.
Dream of the week..............another bizarre offering which saw me out shopping with the cast of The Big Bang Theory.........hmmmmm, now I know I watch two episodes a day and can identify with Sheldon the quirky main character, but I am none  the wiser as to what the meaning is of them showing up in my nightly adventures.  Answers on a postcard please.

No comments:

Post a Comment