Sunday 19 January 2014

Christmas, flooding and refunds


 

Into another year already, where did 2013 go to?  Now then, what has happened since my last episode?

Christmas has come and gone and passed off well, fairly quiet on the actual day itself, but we managed to avoid snow, ice, four day old sausages (regular readers will remember the events of two years ago) and overeating.  The television choice as usual was pretty bad and we spent some time watching ancient episodes of The Walton’s and Little House on The Prairie for some proper, wholesome, non-offensive family viewing.  Santa found his way to the tree and left some goodies.  He appreciated the carrots for his hoofed helpers but was less than impressed with the glass of water which I was instructed to leave him.  Apparently that was what he wanted, according to my parents as they filled a couple of sherry glasses to the brim and tucked in.  They were wrong; Santa wanted something a little more potent.

The television presenters and so-called experts are banging on about climate change being the reason we are experiencing flooding around the country.  I am sure that it has more to do with barmy council officials granting planning for houses and retail parks on flood plains, thereby taking away drainage that has been in place for many years and not creating sufficient new ditches, drains and soakaways.  Fortunately I have not been affected by flooding in this house.......just as well really as if I flood then the rest of the town will be like Atlantis seeing as how I live at the top of a hill.  More houses are about to be built near me so this non-flooding situation might change over the next year or two.

Before Christmas I purchased a new vacuum cleaner.  I looked online at a large retailer’s website, reserved it and collected it a few hours later.  On checking my receipt when I got home, I realised they had overcharged me by £80 so contacted the store and agreed to return later in the week to speak to the manager and get a refund.  Simple enough.......oh no.  I duly turned up with my receipt and a screenshot of the item with the price advertised only to be told that was incorrect and it had never been offered at that price, therefore a refund was out of the question.  Once I was fed up arguing the point with him, I guess he thought that was the end of the matter.  Silly man, he should have thought this one through.  I wrote and complained to his head office who replied stating that just because an item is reserved and collected the same day does not mean the price is the same.  They further listed all the price changes on this item over a short period of time.  Thanks very much for that, just what I needed for Trading Standards!  To cut a long story short, I had a refund for more than the difference between price advertised and price paid and Trading Standards are investigating the pricing anomalies on the company.  I also have a great vacuum cleaner.  Result!

My next mission is to have a proper sort out of every room in the house and see what I can unearth.  Rumour has it that a reward is still being offered for the capture of Lord Lucan.  I just may be able to claim this money by the end of this project..........

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment