Friday 21 January 2011

The Isle of Wight ferry and odd dress sense

Local news stations baffle the life out of me.  When I first moved north out of London, the local news here was relevant to the area.  However, ITV had a reshuffle some time ago of the local regions, so instead of being in the Central Midlands region I have been shifted to Central Meridian (all without moving an inch from where I was too).  Now then, bearing in mind I live in South Northamptonshire on the borders of Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire, my “local” news now details happenings and goings-on in.................wait for it................Hampshire, Dorset, Essex, Sussex, Kent and the Isle of Wight.  Of course knowing about the delays on the Isle of Wight ferry and the occasional shipping forecast is very handy............if you live on the coast.  However, considering I am seven miles from Silverstone the ferry has very little (in fact none whatsoever) bearing on Northamptonshire life.  ITV insist that the transmitter is giving the correct information for this area.........exactly who at the company has a degree or even a basic knowledge of the layout of England?  It would appear nobody can claim that accolade.
The postal service continues to amaze me too.  Still no sign of the Christmas post which is holed up somewhere in the Northampton sorting office.  Perhaps it will arrive in time for Christmas 2011 although my hopes are not high.  However the new postman is proving to be an amusing sight with his trolley causing an obstacle course in the middle of the road.  It was a source of concern to me initially, but now I say good on him, as he is in fact causing the traffic to slow down around here which can’t be a bad thing.
This week has seen the acquisition of another car to replace my existing people carrier which has served its time and is well overdue to be let out on licence.  Much mirth and merriment at the car shop as the business manager is the double of John Virgo and I had to tell him so.  Well actually I did say John was a taller and narrower version, but facially they are the same.  On a subsequent visit I gave him one of my helpful hints...............with a striped shirt and tie with swirly patterns he resembled the test card so he had to know in order to readdress his wardrobe arrangements.
Thank you and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment