Friday 1 July 2011

Pruning, crowns and snack biscuits



Prior to my recent trip to France (the one where the eatery had a commanding view of the ambulance bay) I asked my Dad to trim the privet hedge in my back garden.  He is always desperate to get his hands on my shrubbery and after many two week vacations I have returned to find a once six foot high bush trimmed to within an inch of its life, with the assurance that it will grow back.  This trimming is repeated around the whole of the garden.  Anyway, I digress, so back to the current plot.
On looking out at my newly trimmed shrub two weeks ago I admired the level top on it and the neat sides.  Ah yes Dad, very impressive. Errrrrr hang on....................why is there is large space underneath?  Where have my three lavender plants gone?  The ones I have been tending for the past couple of months?  Upon further investigation it was revealed that dad had pulled up ‘the undergrowth’ as it was getting in his way.  I ended up rifling through the wheelie bin and retrieving said plants, two of which were still in the same formation as when they left their pots.  Dad said he remembered shaking the soil off something as we are not supposed to put it in the wheelie.......at this point I held up the third plant which only had the roots and a few flowers left on.  Ironically I had planted the lavender to replace the ‘undergrowth’ he had pulled up previously.........the ground cover plants I had been cultivating for five years.
Unfortunately this extreme pruning has passed down the line to me................I cut a tree/shrub thing last autumn literally down to the bare trunk and branches, not a leaf or flower head in sight.  It has totally grown back with amazing speed and is about to burst into the odd flower it produces.  The same cannot be said for the bay tree I remodelled, although it makes a very handy coat stand.
Tomorrow I am finally off to the new dental practice as they have not cancelled on me again (although there are still 16 hours until my appointment time).  This will make three surgeries I am registered with...............I am determined to find one that does the job quickly, efficiently and at a price to suit my meagre budget.

The next day.................!!
Right, off I toddled to the dentist, filled in the registration forms and went for a lie down in the chair.  Very pleasant chap had a poke around my teeth, lots of talking in code to the dental nurse, took seven x-rays then delivered his verdict.  I need a couple of crowns (apparently they are gold coloured so I expect to be mugged for them in my non-lit town) and a root canal.  No real surprises there then.  I told him that I couldn’t see him until September due to school holidays, and then he dropped the bombshell....................he leaves at the end of this month so someone else will have to carry out the drilling, filling and sticking on.  At least I am consistent...............this is the third dentist I have scared off.  Of course if I win the £136 million on the Euro Lottery later on then I will be having the lot done privately whilst lying on a Caribbean beach.
The dentist was followed by a vet visit for annual jabs (for the cat not me) and a weigh in.  The weight loss regime is going well and she has lost 400g.  As these biscuits have been so successful I will have to start snacking on them.

Off to put police tape around my shrubs as a deterrent to my Dad and his selection of clipping tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment