Tuesday 4 October 2011

Dairy products, giraffes and yellow labels

Another day and another bizarre (and obviously ignorant) caller at the door.  On hearing the doorbell I opened the door and was greeted by a middle aged chap (I should know what one looks like as he was the same sort of age as me)................the conversation went like this.

Chap
“Hello, I’m helping my friend Martin the milkman who delivers to your neighbours and I am trying to get some more customers for him”


Me
“Nobody has milk delivered along here”


Chap
“Yes they do, the people at number 21 have a delivery”


Me
“No they don’t as the lady works in Tesco and buys it from there.  Anyway, ( as I point and waggle my finger at the door) this sticker says I do not buy at the door so you shouldn’t have knocked”


Chap
“I didn’t see that (it is bright yellow, has the local Police emblem and details on and is positioned on the front door), but would you like to order a delivery?”


Me
“No, I don’t have milk”


Chap
“Oh right, do you have soya then?”


Me
“No, I told you I don’t have milk”


Chap
“How about juices?  I can do you a full range”


Me
“No, nothing like that, I am not interested and I don’t buy at the door as you know”


Chap
“Okay then, how about yogurts or cheese?”


Me
“No.  Bye now” (followed by loud bang as I closed the door)


Of course on reflection I should have sent him packing with directions to the local guide dog centre as his eyesight is obviously failing, this being confirmed by his inability to see a bright yellow sign in clear daylight.  I love the way callers claim not to see the sign and also lie about what my neighbours may or may not have delivered.  The solution is simple...............I need to erect a tower over the front door with a supply of grand pianos to be dropped one at a time on these people.
I am persevering with the Zumba class once a week in an effort to tone up a bit and have a laugh at the same time.  However hard I try to keep up with the movements and routines, I always end up performing with all the grace of a new born giraffe trying to stand for the first time and a windmill with sails all going in different directions.  Never mind though, I have a fun hour and it is a fiver well spent (plus I have bought the right clothing to wear so I need to get the value out of it).
My latest gripe with one of the ‘big four’ supermarkets is their so called ‘special offers’ which are not all they seem.  Bright yellow labels on the pricing strip attract the attention of shoppers and lead them to believe the product they are popping into their trolley is a bargain.  I am building up quite a collection of photos showing the pricing labels with offers such as “£1.5o or two for £3.00” (for cheese) or “£1.00 or five for £5.00” (pre-packed ham)............... You see what I mean?  This practice has apparently been brought to the attention of the media and several newspapers have printed relevant articles.  Unfortunately the supermarket gurus appear not to read the newspapers they sell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment